Florence Police Department
The Florence Police Department was founded on December 24, 1890 and consisted of a Chief of Police, George S. Turbeville, and four officers. The department has grown to the size of 106 sworn officers with 16 civilian employees.
The Florence Police Department consists of the Law Enforcement Services Division, Administration and Support Services. Law Enforcement Services Division consists of Patrol, Traffic, Investigations and School Resource Officers. Administrative Services Division includes civilian staff who provide administrative support. Support Services Division includes Training, City Court, Property/Supply/Evidence and Internal Affairs.
As a service agency, the Florence Police Department is always looking for ways to not only stop crime but to help citizens in minimizing, if not eliminating, crime in their areas. A wise person once said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Officers work closely with citizens in neighborhood watch groups, local civic organizations, and businesses to implement community oriented policing. We are pursuing community oriented policing by implementing:
- Problem-oriented policing targeted at specific, recurring problems, i.e. selling of drugs in the area.
- Directed patrol focusing on a specific offenses, i.e. vandalisms, larcenies, etc..
- Citizens Police Academy.
- Victim Assistance Program.
- Fixed assignment of officers to districts.
- Downtown foot patrol.
- Code enforcement to clean lots, etc.
- Neighborhood Watch Programs.
- Citizen survey of community needs and priorities.
- Community oriented policing concept throughout the entire department.
- Police/Youth programs, PAL (Police Athletic League), Camp Fever, Physical Fitness Camp
City of Florence Police Department Location
The City of Florence Police Department is housed in the City Center, 324 West Evans Street, Florence. Hours of administrative and records operations are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. To reach the Police Department's non-emergency dispatch office, please call 843-665-3191.