The following information is offered to help you prepare for an interview should one be required.
- Dress appropriately- always be well groomed.
- Be prepared- find out about the position for which you are being considered. If you need additional information, contact the Division of Human Resources.
- Be prompt- you should plan to arrive at least 10-15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Presentation- good posture and body language are important.
- Be prepared to talk about your past experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the position for which you are applying. Think of your experience, skills, and abilities as a product and market them to the interviewer(s).
- Be prepared to fully explain your skills and abilities even if the interviewer is familiar with your background. Do not assume that an interviewer will just know that you are the best candidate.
- Be prepared to answer questions that may relate directly to the work required in the position.
- Have confidence in yourself and your qualifications.
- Organize your thoughts before answering a question. Take a moment to gather your thoughts when necessary.
- If you are unclear regarding the salary (pay rate), contact the Division of Human Resources BEFORE going on the interview. Do not discuss salary during the scheduled interview.
- Have a few questions prepared for the interviewer. What do you want to learn about the organization?
Practice before the interview. Anticipate questions you may be asked and answer them out loud prior to the interview.