The City of Florence Fire Department requires that every business or group residential facility have a fire escape plan that is effective and well known by all who work there. Fire exits are designed to provide continuous and unobstructed means of exiting out of a building. An exiting system in any building may include intervening aisles, doors, doorways, gates, corridors, exterior exit balconies, ramps, stairways, smoke proof enclosures, horizontal exits, exit passageways, exit courts and yards. Required exit doors must not be locked when a building is occupied. Escape routes should be posted at work stations and updated when changes are made. Remind personnel to observe the best escape route from their location.
To account for everyone's safety, select and list on your plan a definite meeting place outside. Assign someone to assist elderly and disabled employees. Hold fire drills with all workers at least once each quarter and more often if your occupancy is required to by Fire Code. This will test the practicality of your plan and give you a chance to practice escaping. For more information or assistance in planning your fire escape plan, please stop by the department main offices, located at 324 W. Evans Street, Florence between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, or call them at 843-665-3231.
- Know the location of working fire extinguishers.
- Learn how to use a fire extinguisher.
- Review posted fire escape plans.
- Practice fire evacuation plan.
- Practice good house keeping.
- Storage of chemicals and combustibles should be in approved containers, cabinets and areas with no smoking signs posted.
- Smoking should be done in designated areas with approved containers
for disposal readily available.
- Be aware of electrical hazards.
- Do not block or lock approved exits.
- Maintain current records on items such as MSDS sheet, Fire Drills, etc.
- Keep and review service records on sprinkler systems, standpipe systems and hood systems.
- Post occupant capacity signs in visible locations.
The City of Florence ISO Classification for Homeowners and Businesses is a Class 2.